It’s not something we see a lot of in our properties. Most are dry, insulated, with good sun, and heating. Though there are a few flats in locations around the city that just seem to attract mould.
Having completed a number of inspections of late and come across some mould issues, it prompted me to learn more about the effects and prevention.
Here comes the science bit.
When moulds and fungi reproduce, they release tiny spores that can become airborne. Health problems kick in when lots of these spores are breathed in, or come into contact with the skin.
Some moulds can aggravate lungs; irritate eyes and skin, cause headaches and flu-like symptoms. Unlike the Man-Flu, this isn't a joking matter. At greatest risk are people with asthma as well as infants and the elderly.
Most people fully recover when the source is killed, removed and cleaned away.
Better ventilation, like extractors in kitchens and bathrooms, more heating and higher levels of insulation can prevent the growth of moulds.
It’s important to remove the mould before it dries out. As that’s when the spores are more easily released. So remove it while still damp, or wet. Use commercial mould cleaner that you can buy at the shops, and throughout the rags or cloths you use when cleaning them down.
There are lots of secret Nana recipes for mould removal. A Google search produces some real corkers!
We are always happy to chat Property, anytime on 0800 567 563